How do you know when it is time?
About a year ago we noticed that our 10 yr old staffy Rama was developing a couple of little lumps on his abdomen. We took him to the vet and the vet advised that they were probably just fatty tissue and we just needed to keep an eye on him for any further developments.
A couple of weeks ago one of the lumps got bigger and he was obviously in a little pain so off to the vet he went.
The vet said to us that the lumps needed all to come out and if anything was found further then all his lymph glands would have to be stripped. He sent us home with this decision to make as well as a course of antibiotics and some pain medicine.
The antibiotics are now finished and for a little while things looked like they were getting better, so we decided against the surgery for a number of reasons.
1. He is 1o years old
2. The risk of further infections with the surgery seeing there are now around 8 lumps.
3. We dont want to put him through this intensive surgery due to his age.
Today one of the lumps has split open and is weeping. We are keeping it as clean as possible, but he is not his normal self anymore. He is really listless and not his happy little self.
We are now faced with a major decision.
Is it time to let him go or do we hold on?









poor little guy, ugh why do we have to make these decisions.
:(
*HUGS*
Guess it comes down to if the poor guy is suffering or not. I know you don't want to see him in pain. Unfortunately, any decision you make will cause you pain and suffering. Just part of the deal when you love your pet. Sorry.
Oh how sad. I'm really sorry to hear the little guy is sick.
But 10 years isn't really old. What is the average life span for his breed?
Maybe he isn't as perky because he's in pain. If I'm reading your message correctly, it appears that you're thinking of putting him to sleep. But you didn't mention the doctor saying anything about it.
What does the doctor think? Does he think surgery will fix the problem?
Just keep having faith buddy boy. And listen to the doc. Did the doc say the surgery would be too much for his age? Because, again, most dogs live well into their teens.
I'm sending hugs and kisses your way
Nathan
my heart goes out 2 u i have 2 little dogs and 1 is real old i hate 2 see the day come. thinking about u.
My heart goes out to you. There is no easy answer. How high is the risk of infection with the surgery? Our dog went through very serious surgery 18 months ago at the age of 9 and she did wonderfully and is still going strong. Maybe try a second opinion? In the end though you have to really listen to him with your heart, that's where the answer will be found. Peace to you all, my friend, my thoughts are with you.
leave your mark